(Armagh, Irleand + Cottage + Hammock + Harp)
Ok, ok. The 16 airports were including transfers, but I visited the Lisbon (x2), London Heathrow (x2), Chicago (x4), Minneapolis St. Paul (x4), London Gatwick and Belfast (x2) airports during my August adventure. Mostly a US tour, but a lovely 5 days in Belfast with the Cookes, a Stockwell and an O'Neill.
It was fantastic to see familiar faces in Michigan, yuck it up and eat Captain Sundae. I watched a meteor shower on the shore of Lake Michigan and got some good time in the sun and sand. Michigan was home base, but I was delighted to get to St. Paul to visit the Zabels and to meet the new little munchkin. And yes, Oscar is even cuter in person. And just so damn smiley.
In fact, I had two unanticipated bonus visits to Chicago and another to St. Paul. Although not under the greatest circumstances, I cherished the friends, family and support more than ever because of them. Round two in the Twin Cities included the Lecy crew -- and you just can't not appreciate life when you're with them. And I'm lucky enough to call them family. We headed to Sioux Falls to celebrate and remember the life of Grandma Jo, and shared memories and laughter all the way there and back. In fact, Grandma's wake ended with everyone at the funeral home roaring with laughter. Best wake ever.
An enormous loss, but the Callaghans are all living her gifts. Because of her, I have an incredible family that I couldn't be more proud to be a part of.
Ireland was great -- good company and generous hosts. I had been dying to meet the newest Cooke, Enya, and she was so happy, easy going she and liked me (very important). We spent a few nights in the country at an old family cottage that a friend has spent years rebuilding and it was, as Kevin put it, like an Irish-American's wet dream. Guinness like it ought to be and green like I had never seen. We spotted several rainbows (a double the first day!), but the leprechauns appeared to be on holiday.
[A big thank you to all of my friends and family that have put up with me in August and the days that have followed. I haven't exactly been the easiest friend/daughter/niece to have. I vow to repay your support and generosity in the years to come. Each day I'm better than ever.]
I am back in Portugal and I there are signs of fall with leaves turning and falling. I know I had fall last year in Michigan, but I swear I'm still suffering from some fall-having deficit from my years in Arizona. It's sort of a favorite thing of mine. It reminds me of apple picking at Eckert's in St. Louis as a kid, the smell of cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, and the (always) awkward Halloween get-ups. Oh. And it means I'll get to start wearing sweaters. Although I've never been a fan of my appearance in a sweater, I do love the sweater experience.
I'm curious to see how the fall/winter seasons are here. It's easy to think that it's always summertime in Portugal. In fact, latitudinally (I say it's a word) we are right up there with Connecticut. With the Atlantic on our side we won't expect anything near a New England winter, but things will get chilly and rainy.
Gone for 32 days, home for 15 and gearing up to be gone for another 14.
I'm leaving for Italy on Wednesday. I'll spend 10 days at Lago di Garda hiking around and attending a summer school program for my PhD stuff, then take the last 4 days in Lisbon at a dissertation workshop and design exhibit. I will spend October in Portugal and November brings the fabulous Angela from DC! A couple days after she leaves, I'll head to Stuttgart, Germany for 9 days to celebrate Thanksgiving with a crew of ex-pats and look forward to the Christmas Market. And yes, there will be beer tents.
The adventure continues.

Its unfortunate that we will be lattitudinally similar and on opposite sides of the Atlantic, yet I will get dumped on with snow. Perhaps we can plan a meetup in a warmer part of Europe in Winter?
ReplyDeleteMy oh my...what travel envy I'm experiencing! :-) Love to hear about all your adventures. It helps me to live vicariously through you.
ReplyDelete