Friday, October 16, 2009

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.


















(A pedestrian's perspective.)

As my plane landed at CPH, I had one of those personal epiphanies, so I started my journey with some clarity and a reminder that life is exactly what I expect of it: Chock full of lessons. I soaked in all of the cool temperatures, windy sunshine and spots of rain. It was the kind of fall I was missing. I think it might be my favorite season.

The leaves were beginning to change and the drive up the coast to the Louisiana museum had great views of a choppy seaside. Interestingly enough, the most provocative exhibit was Faith, Hope and Love. Photo documentation of 4 decades of America, as seen through Jacob Holdt's (a Dane) eyes and experiences. He hitchhiked his way through the US, shared homes with transvestites, KKK members, drug addicts and murderers. And he found love everywhere.

I stopped by a Scientology bookstore (forever curious), had the best hot chocolate, bought some kick ass boots and learned more about the world and myself through the Danish lens. They're certainly doing some things the right way. The widest bike lanes I've ever seen. There is a creative energy in the city that can't be ignored. I don't think I heard a screaming kid the whole time. And the kids are everywhere. Buggies stuffed with little ones, bundled up and not afraid to brave the chilly temperatures. In fact, I saw a few buggies (little ones and all) parked outside convenient stores while (presumably) mom or dad was inside grabbing some necessities. A true testament to the culture of trust (and lack of fear?). Very cool.

I really loved the trip. It didn't hurt that I met with professors that thought what I think is interesting. (One of my favorite things.) Or that I got to hang out with some new friends, eat good food and drink (maybe too much) beer. Instead of explaining the whys, I'll enjoy the fact that I felt right at home and enjoyed every moment.

I hope there's a return trip soon.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully put...you make me want to visit even more that I did laready. I am also really intrigued by the Holdt exhibit...do you know how long it will be open? Wish I had done that with you!
    (and I don't think there is a such thing as too much beer)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. you drank the hot chocolate at the scientologist store, oh dear, i am on my way for you! hang tight

    ReplyDelete
  3. just catching up here emily - i am with popodopalous on this one. last time i was in cph i was "accosted" on a bridge by some of those scientologist types. after an interesting discussion on both sides we both agreed it was best to go our separate ways...

    ReplyDelete