If only getting this visa were as easy as getting my first visa at the University of Kansas at only 17. They were begging for me to apply, approval was instant and I left with a t-shirt and other completely useless paraphernalia.
Each day I am crossing more off of the list: luggage, RHODIA notepads, packing tape and fingerprints. After a wonderfully kind man, Niall, at my University translated all of the initial requirements for obtaining a visa from the Portuguese websites and three attempts to connect with the one and only person in the US that could provide me any details, I collected a new list of line items for my list and hoops to jump through.
The plan is for the FBI to magically process my application for a criminal background check within 2 weeks (a published 3-4 week typical turnaround) so that I can quickly include the results with my visa application which should take another 3 weeks. FedEx is my newest friend, and I'm sure he/she doesn't mind my relentless overnight expenses. If my optimistic timeline comes to fruition, I should be off to Aveiro on or about my birthday (Mar 6). However, I anticipate some delay and am secretly hoping for a couple of extra days in DC before I ship off. I wouldn't mind additional time with fantastic folks nor would I mind taking more than 9 days off between living and working in the US to living and studying in Portugal.
Time will tell.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete