Friday, February 20, 2009

Lift off.

















I have begun my (longish) departure. It will be 3 weeks or more before I arrive in Portugal. Today was my last day at Herman Miller’s Design Yard in West Michigan and I was sent off with warmth and kindness from my friends and colleagues. The past two weeks have been filled with list- and decision-making, all flowing with an amount of momentum that prevented me from becoming too anxious about any of it. I must say the company I have kept has been particularly enjoyable. I am grateful for all of my connections in Michigan and look forward to more adventures and intersections ahead. I was (time after time) surprised by the generosity, kindness and depth of my network, all developed in nine short months. Or less.

Now 20 Feb – Sat 28 Feb [Grand Rapids/Chicago/Phoenix]
I am in Chicago (from Grand Rapids) waiting for a connecting flight to take me to a familiar Phoenix. I am looking forward to spending seven days amid the arid climate and dessert terrain. I will spend all of next week in Phoenix; two days wrapping things up for Herman Miller and working with InnovationSpace students and the balance of the week enjoying the company of friends.

(Confession: I'm actually in Phoenix before actually posting this. Thank you for your free internet, Sky Harbor.)

Sat 28 Feb – Wed 4 Mar [St. Louis]
I will spend a few quick days at home, getting to see friends and family.

Wed 4 Mar - ? [DC]
Although I originally planned to leave on Mar 6 (all things visa working in my favor), uncontrollable variables haven’t fallen in place to make that happen. This means I will end up in DC for longer than expected. A happy surprise.

? – ? [Aveiro, Portugal]
I have the long list of documents necessary for my visa application at the ready, but am still waiting on my contract and documents from the University before I can officially apply. I originally thought my FBI background check would be the cause for delay, but that was processed and shipped back (presumably clean) promptly. There is a team of staff members at the University working on my behalf, and most recently have been fighting to lower the amount of my salary required to be paid to the Portuguese social security system. Although I’m not sure how successful those efforts will be, I received word today that I should hear soon about the documents being forwarded to me. Once I have received them I will need to then apply for a visa, that processing time is approximately three weeks. Best case scenario looks like I’ll be heading across the Atlantic about Mar 18. I am happily delayed because I can spend more time with great company.

A nice, long goodbye.
[More appropriately a see-you-soon.]

1 comment:

  1. Super - flights from DC to Tampa are running about 140 with taxes these days...

    ReplyDelete