Friday, April 24, 2009

Meet George. [Week 1]


















Arriving at the week 1 landmark feels pretty good, I must say. Each day offers new opportunity for exploration, challenges to be looked at dead-in-the-eye, paperwork (in Portuguese) to be signed, streets (sans signage) to be navigated. Practicing patience has taken on a whole new meaning and I am humbled by the people, place and culture of my new home. I am finding space to scooch my butt in my seat and make my mark. (You know what I mean, sitting down and giving your butt a little wiggle.)

As I discover the corner bakeries, neighborly cafes, flower shops, markets, cute boutiques and shopping centers I am finding little somethings to make my apartment feel like my own. It's getting there. I sometimes wonder if I missed my calling as a Pictionary Pro with all of the non-verbal communicating I'm doing these days. It's laughable. And intimidating.

I challenge myself to do at least one thing (thus far I have far surpassed my quota) that scares me every day. Which is convenient because living here feels like learning how to live all over again. The brilliant part of it is that I get to make all new, fresh decisions as I go along. Sure, I've traveled in Europe before, but settling in for 3 years feels much, much different.

Oh. George. Yes. I was at the shopping center last weekend and spotted this kid (maybe 5-years-old) with a goldfish in a plastic bag. Typical scene. My inner 5-year-old promptly responded with "I waaant a fiiish!". George is a new addition to the apartment and he is adapting well. It occurred to me, only after yanking him from a familiar environment with friends and possibly family, that I was forcing my circumstance on this little guy. (Dad pointed out that he has the brain the size of a pinhead. I choose to believe that he has greater awareness and capacity as he has become a friend and confidant.) I haven't killed him yet. So, I'd say things are going well. And, although George is alone here, he does have a friend and cousin (also George) in Zeeland, MI. Cousin George is of the plant variety and a bit far away, but as the New York Times reports, having friends regardless of proximity is a very good thing.

Headed to Porto (about 70km north) Wednesday for a meeting (3 hours, in Portuguese) with the senior members of ID+, the research group I will be working with, and had a chance to introduce myself and my PhD study aspirations. Everyone has received me with excitement, warmth and respect.

Challenges aside, I live in is this fantastic little city with more opportunities than I can begin to imagine. So far so good.

2 comments:

  1. Love you. Love George. Do remember your new friend and confidant has quite a lesser life span than you. (And note: if you do have a wild party and someone "feeds" him beer and he plays dead for 2 days he can wake up, mine did.) Miss you again today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear...I so enjoy reading how you're taking this opportunity for all it's worth and scootching that butt of yours in to make your mark!

    ReplyDelete