[Sunset & Sunrise over the Atlantic]
I have been in Aveiro since Friday afternoon, about 2pm. The trip across the Atlantic was smooth and I slept well after my chicken dinner and 2 bottles of red wine. Amsterdam greeted me with sunshine, warm coffee and lots to look at. (Yes, I know that's a preposition.) I decided, after all, to stay put in the airport as I wasn't feeling up to schlepping my carry ons about the city. And, if I'm honest, I didn't have the emotional energy to explore a new place and really enjoy the surroundings. The people watching at the airport was just fine with me.
The hiccups began when I was heading toward my concourse after about 5 hours at the airport to realize that my flight was cancelled to Porto. It turns out that the crew for my flight was "on strike" per too few rest hours. After much scurrying about I was re-booked to Lisbon and then to Porto later that evening. The extra leg in Lisbon meant that it would be too late to catch the two trains out of Porto to arrive in Aveiro Thursday night.
There was some additional confusion about my baggage, and by confusion they said they didn't know where it was. When I heard this I felt like my identity had been taken and no one was "sure" about its return. The one thing I could count on, know what to expect from, in my new home in a new country in a new job at a new University were the contents of my two suitcases. After many conversations and trips from counter to counter, airline to airline, I had confirmation that my suitcases were in Amsterdam and should be following me to Porto. Relief.
The rest of the trip went as expected, although I felt totally spent. Emotionally and physically. My bags did not actually arrive in Porto that night, but I was too tired to be too upset. Everyone was very kind and helpful along the way. Three people in baggage services at midnight were helping me find a hotel near the airport. I can't imagine getting that kind of service anywhere in the U.S. I got some rest and found my bags in the morning, got on the metro, then a train and arrived in Aveiro.
I spent the afternoon meeting with João and some people in the International Office at the University. I found my office, some basics around campus and headed to the market and home for some much needed rest. The weekend has been nice; I've spent some time making my apartment feel like home and exploring the town. It's a beautiful place and celebrating its 250th birthday this year.
It's hard to believe I've made it.

What a trip indeed!
ReplyDelete